In this episode, host Neil Howe talks with renowned biomechanics expert and physical therapist, Irene S Davis, PhD, PT, FAPTA, FACSM, FASB.
Dr. Davis explains how we have the fundamental mechanics all wrong and how the athletic shoe industry has manipulated our running style. Listen as she explains how striking the ground first with the heel while running can cause some serious injury and ways to combat it.
Dr. Irene Davis is the founding Director of the Spaulding National Running Center, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School. Dr. Davis received her Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from the University of Massachusetts, and in Physical Therapy from the University of Florida. She earned her Masters degree in Biomechanics from the University of Virginia, and her PhD in Biomechanics from Pennsylvania State University. She is a Professor Emeritus in Physical Therapy at the University of Delaware where she served on the faculty for over 20 years. Her research is focused on the relationship between lower extremity structure, mechanics and injury. Her research also extends to the development of interventions to alter faulty mechanics through gait retraining. Her interests also include the effect of minimal footwear on mechanics and injury. She has received funding from the Department of Defense, and National Institutes of Health to support her research. Dr. Davis has given over 350 lectures both nationally and internationally and authored over 120 publications on the topic of lower extremity mechanics during walking and running gait. She was recently named one of the 50 Most Influential People in Running. She is a Fellow and Past President of the American Society of Biomechanics. She is also a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine and a Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association.
To connect with Dr. Irene Davis, contact:
Harvard Medical School
Recent episodes from Neil Howe and Craig Williams (see all)
- Richie Norton – Author of The Power Of Starting Something Stupid On Starting To Live And Following Your Dreams – March 9, 2018
- John Schmehl – Philadelphia Tax Attorney on Helping Entrepreneurs Save Money On Taxes And Keep More Of Their Money In Their Pocket – March 5, 2018
- James Warren – Washington D.C. Tax Attorney on Audits, Business Structure and the King of Jordan – March 1, 2018
Recent episodes from Neil Howe (see all)
- Jodi Hersh – Atlanta Web Designer and Graphic Artist On Building The Right Systems For Your Business - May 21, 2018
- Callie Cullum – Creative Web Designer on How The Look And Feel Of Your Site Affects Your Branding - May 18, 2018
- Jeff Corey – Owner of Visual Soldiers on Making The Complex Simple With Great Web Design And Coding - May 15, 2018