Opening a micro-school is no easy task; it’s a business with all the cogs and parts involved in any business. There’s funding to think about, location, support staff and teachers. But there’s a shortcut available, especially for those with a relationship to an existing school or business.
This is actually how I opened my first micro-school, a school-within-a-school, in a large Washington State high school. The facility, money, teachers, students, and other resources were already there. I just needed to reconfigure the learning model to fit my group of learners.
This episode of the Education Evolution podcast includes examples of how you might take a shortcut when opening your own micro-school, why you might want to open a micro-school, and what you should do first (or next).
Jump Through the Conversation
- [4:05] Why have a school-within-a-school?
- [7:01] Why it is important to get smaller and more personalized
- [10:11] Five steps to take
- [12:29] My Magic Wand: Be the Change
Links and Resources:
- Episode 22: Mission-Driven Pivot to a Micro-School
- Episode 23: A Place for Colorful Mismatched Learners to Thrive
- Sign up for the self-paced course, Build Your Micro-School
- Visit the Micro-School Coalition
- Schedule a free 15-minute consultation with Maureen
- Maureen’s book: Creating Micro-Schools for Colorful Mismatched Kids
- Email Maureen
- Facebook: Follow Education Evolution
- Twitter: Follow Education Evolution
- LinkedIn: Follow Education Evolution
- Maureen on Good Morning America
Show notes, links and more episodes – https://educationevolution.org
Recent episodes from James Hamilton Healy (see all)
- 96. I Made A Mistake: Healing the Hustle - June 29, 2022
- 95. Bossy, Controlling, Overthinking… Oh My! – Healing the Hustle - June 23, 2022
- 94. Dating Myself: Healing the Hustle - June 13, 2022