In the shadow of COVID, the current face of education has brought a new set of challenges into the (virtual) classroom. It can be difficult to know how to overcome these barriers and create the best environment for both educators and students.
Today, Andrew Marotta joins us on the Education Evolution podcast to give insight into how he’s able to hold this balance in his own life. Despite being a husband, father, principal, author, professional speaker, and more, Andrew maintains a positive energy and focus that has led to his success in the educational system. He reminds us of the grace we must extend to each other during this difficult time and gives us a call to do our best and believe in ourselves.
Listen in now to hear his advice on creating a positive impact for students, keeping up morale, and creating relationships to help students thrive no matter the situation.
About Andrew Marotta
Andrew Marotta is an energetic and enthusiastic leader who has put his positive imprint on his beloved Port Jervis High School, in Port Jervis, NY. He has led the transformation of PJHS, helping to raise the graduation rate from a low 60% to mid and upper 80%.
With the release of his first book, “The Principal: Surviving and Thriving,” Andrew is expanding his impact on the education leadership community. Husband, father, principal, former Division One College Basketball Official, professional speaker and developer, and now author, Andrew balances his busy lifestyle and shares with you the tips, tricks, procedures, and methods he uses to make it work.
Jump Through the Conversation:
- [2:09] Treat your school like a restaurant
- [6:53] Now is the time to release routines and try new things
- [8:22] Do your best, be kind, and have empathy
- [10:58] Be fully present and focus on the “big rocks” first
- [16:16] Dr. Rob Gilbert’s success hotline
- [18:38] Andrew’s Magic Wand: We MUST believe in ourselves and that we can have an impact
- [22:49] Rita Pierson’s Ted Talk: Every Kid Needs a Champion on “Kids can’t learn from teachers they don’t like.”
- [24:20] Maureen unpacking Andrew’s gems
- Being human
- Shining our light and making an impact
Links and Resources:
- Andrew Marotta’s The Principal: Surviving and Thriving
- Education Leadership and Beyond Blog
- Education Leadership and Beyond Podcast
- Stephen Covey’s Big Rocks First video
- Dr. Rob Gilbert’s Success Hotline: can subscribe or call 973-743-4690. (Success Hotline, started in 1992, is the world’s longest running inspirational telephone hotline. Daily 3-minute inspirations.)
- Rita Pierson’s Ted Talk: Every Kid Needs a Champion
- Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Marianne Williamson’s Our Deepest Fear poem
- Email Maureen
- Facebook: Follow Education Evolution
- Twitter: Follow Education Evolution
- LinkedIn: Follow Education Evolution
- Maureen’s book: Creating Micro-Schools for Colorful Mismatched Kids
- Micro-school feature on Good Morning America
- The Micro-School Coalition
- Facebook: The Micro-School Coalition