As educators, we know that children don’t learn in silos. Right now, parents are learning this, too. They’re seeing their kids struggle, not only with accessing the information but with processing it as well. It’s spotlighting the fact that we need to educate the whole child and that academics is just a portion of who the child is.
That’s why today’s conversation with Kr. Karen Wilson is so important. As a clinical neuropsychologist, Karen evaluates children and informs parents about neurodevelopmental and social-emotional issues and helps connect them with professionals who can help children succeed.
In our conversation, we discuss why parents put off having their children evaluated, how the pandemic has exacerbated some of the difficulties children are having and what parents should do once they have a diagnosis.
Karen also talks about her mission to support parents and children even further through her ChildNEXUS online platform. And if you want more from this conversation and Karen, she has a podcast of her own launching soon!
About Karen Wilson
Dr. Karen Wilson is a Clinical Neuropsychologist, Director of West LA Neuropsychology, and an Assistant Clinical Professor (Voluntary) in the Medical Psychology Assessment Center at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Behavior at UCLA. She is also the Founder of ChildNEXUS.com, a web platform that provides information to parents who have children or adolescents struggling with neurodevelopmental or social-emotional issues, and connects them with professionals who provide services.
Dr. Karen Wilson has shared her expertise in a broad range of media outlets: television, radio, podcasts, print, and online. She is a sought after speaker and has been invited to address a multitude of audiences including parenting groups, educators, and professionals attending national conferences. Connect with her on LinkedIn.
Jump Through the Conversation
- [6:28] Why parents delay getting neuropsych evaluation
- [8:30] How parents (and kids) feel and react after an evaluation
- [9:36] Impact of chronic stress in kids
- [12:30] Impact of loneliness and social media with this generation
- [14:23] Karen talks about her ChildNEXUS online platform
- [18:30] Karen’s Magic Wand: We’re evaluating kids the moment we see them struggle and find a variety of ways to support them–all kids
- [19:53] Unpacking the conversation
Links and Resources:
Recent episodes from James Hamilton Healy (see all)
- 96. I Made A Mistake: Healing the Hustle - June 29, 2022
- 95. Bossy, Controlling, Overthinking… Oh My! – Healing the Hustle - June 23, 2022
- 94. Dating Myself: Healing the Hustle - June 13, 2022