With almost 20 years of experience in education, Nana Campana knew she wanted to see a change. She wanted a place for children to come where they learned–but not by rote memorization and reading books. Nana wanted a space where they could thrive through support and guidance, experiential learning and enrichment, therapy and…yes…the academics.
As this podcast episode goes live, Nana is opening the doors to Untethered Minds, a micro-school in Miami, Florida. There she plans to educate the full child through therapy, play and individualized support.
I’m honored to have played a part in this school opening and thrilled to watch children in the Miami area have a new place to call their school home. Listen in to hear about where the idea for her school came from and how she put all the pieces together through my Build Your Micro-School program. Maybe you’ll find the motivation and drive to start your own!
About Nana Campana
Nana Campana is an accomplished creative and certified educational therapist and therapeutic art facilitator with a proven track record of empowering struggling learners to become competent and independent without limitations. She is currently committed to accomplishing her mission of reforming education one student at a time through cognitive programs offered at The Paper Tree House.
Since the brain is a muscle and everyone is able to learn to thrive and master the skills needed to leave their mark on this world, it is Nana’s utmost desire to break the belief that learning disabilities are permanent and that children (and adults) have to forever struggle with their limitations. Visit her website or follow her on Facebook and Instagram. You can also connect with Nana on LinkedIn.
Jump Through the Conversation
- [1:35]Description of Untethered Minds micro-school
- [5:24] Summer intensives as a smaller stepping stone
- [6:30] Not every brain learns the same
- [8:43] Mindset is the biggest challenge to starting a micro-school
- [12:15] Puppies and painting prep
- [14:09] Creating a tribe
- [20:53] Nana’s Magic Wand: Inject creative curiosity back into education
Links and Resources: https://educationevolution.org/22
Recent episodes from Maureen O’Shaughnessy, EdD (see all)
- 25. Looking at How Kids are Wired with Dr. Karen Wilson – September 28, 2020
- 24. The First Step of Creating a New School – September 21, 2020
- 23. A Place for Colorful Mismatched Learners to Thrive – September 14, 2020
Recent episodes from James Hamilton Healy (see all)
- 25. Looking at How Kids are Wired with Dr. Karen Wilson - September 28, 2020
- 144: What is Sex Therapy Like – Paula Leech - September 28, 2020
- 24. The First Step of Creating a New School - September 21, 2020