In 2011, while Katrina was incarcerated pending sentencing for prescription fraud, possession, distribution and other charges related to her addiction, Katrina’s 20-year-old daughter began heavily abiding prescription pills. Within months, her beautiful and naive little girl was completely addicted and out of control. Katrina felt panicked and powerless as she was told that the child who was always terrified of needles, was now injecting herself with death regularly. Only a few days after she was advised of Kirstyn’s deteriorating condition, her child overdosed while her mother was trapped in jail, paralyzed by inexplicable grief, regret, and crippling hopelessness.
Katrina shares how she seemed to overcome the death of her parents as a child in the California desert of the 70’s, child abuse, institutions and sexual assaults, to evolving to a responsible, loving, career parent earning a six-figure salary. Sadly, she had only buried the pain and shame of repeated abuse, as all it took was a few life incidents and a fall down the stairs of her home, to set off heartbreaking consequences and senseless tragedy.
Her powerful story was profiled in the FBI’s, “Chasing the Dragon” documentary. Released last year with a study guide, it will be used in schools and communities for years to come to help educate the public on the dangers of substance abuse, as well as the underlying factors that often lead to the full manifestation of the disorder.
Today, Katrina advocates for all suffering from substance abuse, their families and trauma survivors. The founder for “Recovered Purpose”, she has dedicated her life to serving others. She admits her dreams were lost to addiction and the death of her daughter but, her PURPOSE was found in recovery. She is driven to honor her daughter and leave a legacy of love to her son and his family. Katrina is proud of her son who serves our country enthusiastically in a branch of the military.
Recovered Purpose: http://recoveredpurpose.org
Chasing the Dragon: https://www.fbi.gov/video-repository/newss-chasing-the-dragon-the-life-of-an-opiate-addict/view
The Addictions Academy – The Nation’s Leading Accredited Addiction Treatment Services, Recovery/Sober Coaching & Intervention Training Academy: https://theaddictionsacademy.com/
Hassle-Free Books – You have a message to share, it shouldn’t be so difficult to get it out to the world. Become an author in a little as 45 days: http://hasslefreebooks.com
Music courtesy of Crowfly – http://crowflyrocks.com/
Recent episodes from Dr. Cali Estes (see all)
- Ep028: Dr. Matthew Budoff – Professor of Medicine & Top UCLA Cardiologist Talks Heart Health for American Heart Month – February 15, 2018
- Ep027: Dr. Venus Nicolino aka “Dr. V” – Relationship Expert & Host of WeTV’s Marriage Boot Camp – February 14, 2018
- Ep026: Billie Lee – Bravo TV Vanderpump Rules & Transgender Activist – February 6, 2018
Recent episodes from James Healy (see all)
- #8: Jessica Butts – Do Opposites Attract? How Different Personality Types Affect Your Sex Life - February 20, 2018
- Ep028: Dr. Matthew Budoff – Professor of Medicine & Top UCLA Cardiologist Talks Heart Health for American Heart Month - February 15, 2018
- Ep027: Dr. Venus Nicolino aka “Dr. V” – Relationship Expert & Host of WeTV’s Marriage Boot Camp - February 14, 2018