Welcome to Episode 72 of Building My Legacy.
In this podcast, we talk with Dr. Turner Osler who, after a successful career as a trauma surgeon, became a researcher and entrepreneur. You’ll find his story fascinating as you learn about the company he started and the legacy he is building to “change the way the world sits.” If you’ve ever heard that “sitting is the new smoking,” you’ll want to hear Dr. Osler explain how today’s comfortable desk chairs – with their lumbar support – can result in back pain and metabolic syndrome, a combination of conditions that increase the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
So if you want to know:
- Why our history as hunter-gatherers causes us back pain today
- What back pain costs businesses each year – and what can be done about it
- How a chair that changes people’s relationship to sitting can reduce the two epidemics threatening so many of us: back pain and metabolic syndrome
- About a company that’s making a difference in people’s lives and making money
About Dr. Turner Osler
As a trauma surgeon, Dr. Turner Osler was always on the move – from the operating room to the ICU, to the ER and back to the operating room. When he became interested in the epidemiology of trauma and found himself sitting at a computer, doing mathematical modeling and writing code, he developed back pain. His own search for the reason and a cure led him to discover the relationship between sitting – which most office workers do all day long – and back pain, as well as the rise in high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar levels, high cholesterol and triglycerides, and obesity. Dr. Osler realized that the solution to back problems and “sitting disease” was a new kind of chair that forced its users to develop perfect posture and to get exercise while they were sitting.
Today QOR360 – pronounced “core three-sixty” – manufactures chairs in Vermont that are ergonomic, healthy and promote “active seating.” Through ButtOn Chairs, Dr. Osler offers schools the opportunity to make their own active seating chairs at a cost of just $5 each for the material. By allowing students to move at their desks, the chairs help children burn more calories and can even result in improved test scores. Learn more about Dr. Osler’s goal to give our children a future without back pain at buttonchairs.org.
About Lois Sonstegard, PhD
Working with business leaders for more than 30 years, Lois has learned that successful leaders have a passion to leave a meaningful legacy. Leaders often ask: When does one begin to think about legacy? Is there a “best” approach? Is there a process or steps one should follow?
Lois is dedicated not only to developing leaders but to helping them build a meaningful legacy. Learn more about how Lois can help your organization with Leadership Consulting and Executive Coaching:
Thanks for Tuning In!
Thanks so much for being with us this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Please leave a note in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your friends by using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic episode updates.
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on iTunes. They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show, and I make it a point to read every single one of the reviews we get.
Please leave a review right now. Thanks for listening!
Recent episodes from Lois Sonstegard, PhD (see all)
- Episode 78-Luke Shankula Talks about Successful Digital Marketing-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – September 29, 2020
- Episode 77-Jonathan DeYoe on Mindfulness in Personal Finance-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard –
- Episode 76-Peter Montoya on Creating Effective Marketing and Transformational Leaders-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – September 22, 2020
Recent episodes from Mike Saunders, MBA (see all)
- Resume Storyteller with Virginia Franco – Interview with Pharma/Biotech/Medical Sales Coach & Podcast Host Michael Hayes - September 29, 2020
- Episode 78-Luke Shankula Talks about Successful Digital Marketing-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard - September 29, 2020
- Episode 77-Jonathan DeYoe on Mindfulness in Personal Finance-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard - September 29, 2020