Welcome to Episode 56 of Building My Legacy.
The eighth of our 10-part series on resilience, this podcast addresses a topic we may not feel comfortable talking about: our reaction to the success of others. It’s easy to say we should always celebrate when good things happen to other people. But what’s your reaction when you work hard on a proposal to a new client, but your teammate’s idea is selected instead? Or, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you’re laid off from your job – but your best friend at work isn’t?
Resilience coach Kate Fitzsimons, who has joined us for this 10-part series, tells us there’s no reason to feel guilty when we have these thoughts of jealousy and insecurity. She also shows us how to apply her 3Rs of resilience – recognize, reflect and redirect – when we compare ourselves to others and feel that we’re just not good enough.
So if you want to know:
- Why your mindset causes you to think that the success of others means you have failed
- How to stop judging yourself
- About a new way to look at your competitors
- Why having to work hard at something can be a good thing
About Kate Fitzsimons
Named one of Australia’s 100 Women of Influence in 2016, Kate Fitzsimons is an international speaker, certified life coach & director of the Nicole Fitzsimons Foundation – a charity established in honor of her sister Nicole who died in an accident in Thailand in 2012.
Determined to save others from a similar tragic fate, Kate left her corporate career in 2013 to dedicate herself to educating young people about the importance of travel safety. Through her eye-opening presentation at high schools, Kate drives home to students the devastating consequences of risk-taking overseas – a message so powerful that she is now supported by the Australian government and major corporations.
Inspired to help others thrive through adversity, Kate’s presentations to students around the world and her popular podcast show, ”Okay. Now What?” help high school and college students develop “response-ability” – the ability to choose their response to any situation based on their perspective of it. Kate’s passion is to provide inspiration and practical advice to help you overcome even the most traumatic experiences. She knows if she can do it, anyone can.
About Lois Sonstegard, PhD
Working with business leaders for more than 30 years, Lois has learned that successful leaders have a passion to leave a meaningful legacy. Leaders often ask: When does one begin to think about legacy? Is there a “best” approach? Is there a process or steps one should follow?
Lois is dedicated not only to developing leaders but to helping them build a meaningful legacy. Learn more about how Lois can help your organization with Leadership Consulting and Executive Coaching:
Thanks for Tuning In!
Thanks so much for being with us this week. We hope you can join us for the rest of our 10-part series. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Please leave a note in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your friends by using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic episode updates.
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on iTunes. They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show, and I make it a point to read every single one of the reviews we get.
Please leave a review right now. Thanks for listening!
Recent episodes from Lois Sonstegard, PhD (see all)
- Episode 58 Kate Fitzsimons #10 –Being Resilient in the Face of Grief -Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – July 2, 2020
- Episode 57 Kate Fitzsimons #9 – How to be resilient when working with a toxic or complaining employee-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – June 26, 2020
- Episode 56 Kate Fitzsimons -How can you celebrate someone’s success and not feel you lost-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard –
Recent episodes from Mike Saunders, MBA (see all)
- Ep. #6 – Renee Montgomery – WNBA Player and business owner discusses educating Pro-Athletes with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes. - July 7, 2020
- Kim Svoboda CEO of Aspiration Catalyst® - July 7, 2020
- Episode 343-How To Grow Your Social Media Following-Brand Doctor Podcast with Henry Kaminski, Jr. - July 7, 2020