Welcome to Episode 45 of Building My Legacy.
This podcast is the first in a 10-part series on resilience, a topic that has become vitally important with the COVID-19 pandemic. Even before the virus became a part of our business and social lives, studies showed that 85 percent of companies recognized that their employees felt overwhelmed. In fact, global leaders said their employees’ stress level was second on their list of business concerns – behind only their company’s leadership position in the world.
Today we’re even more overwhelmed and stressed. So how do we find resilience – to make a positive contribution at work and to deal with stress at home as our children bring us their concerns? This podcast is the first of 10 that will present strategies to help you become resilient. In terms of legacy building, we’ll also look at what comes next. How can you lead and leave something meaningful behind when faced with the current challenges?
My guest for this podcast series is Kate Fitzsimons, a highly sought after speaker for schools and organizations that influence and work with young people. Kate’s story of reconciliation and resilience following her sister’s tragic death in a motor vehicle accident challenges all of us to look at how to overcome obstacles in our lives, to shape the lives of other people in a positive way. In this initial podcast in the series, Kate introduces us to the first of the “three Rs” that she has used to successfully deal with life’s challenges – at work and at home.
So if you want to know:
- What’s behind the first of the three Rs – to recognize
- How millennials are teaching us to ask the hard questions
- The importance of choosing your response to events you can’t control
- How to separate facts from the story you’re telling yourself
- How to get rid of ANTS – Automatic Negative Thoughts
About Kate Fitzsimons
Named one of Australia’s 100 Women of Influence in 2016, Kate Fitzsimons is an international speaker, certified life coach & director of the Nicole Fitzsimons Foundation – a charity established in honor of her sister Nicole who died in an accident in Thailand in 2012.
Determined to save others from a similar tragic fate, Kate left her corporate career in 2013 to dedicate herself to educating young people about the importance of travel safety. Through her eye-opening presentation at high schools, Kate drives home to students the devastating consequences of risk-taking overseas – a message so powerful that she is now supported by the Australian government and major corporations.
Inspired to help others thrive through adversity, Kate’s presentations to students around the world and her popular podcast show, ”Okay. Now What?” help high school and college students develop “response-ability” – the ability to choose their response to any situation based on their perspective of it. Kate’s passion is to provide inspiration and practical advice to help you overcome even the most traumatic experiences. She knows if she can do it, anyone can.
About Lois Sonstegard, PhD
Working with business leaders for more than 30 years, Lois has learned that successful leaders have a passion to leave a meaningful legacy. Leaders often ask: When does one begin to think about legacy? Is there a “best” approach? Is there a process or steps one should follow?
Lois is dedicated not only to developing leaders but to helping them build a meaningful legacy. Learn more about how Lois can help your organization with Leadership Consulting and Executive Coaching:
Thanks for Tuning In!
Thanks so much for being with us this week. We hope you can join us for the entire 10-part series. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Please leave a note in the comments section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your friends by using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic episode updates.
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on iTunes. They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show, and I make it a point to read every single one of the reviews we get.
Please leave a review right now.
Thanks for listening!
Recent episodes from Lois Sonstegard, PhD (see all)
- Episode 58 Kate Fitzsimons #10 –Being Resilient in the Face of Grief -Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – July 2, 2020
- Episode 57 Kate Fitzsimons #9 – How to be resilient when working with a toxic or complaining employee-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – June 26, 2020
- Episode 56 Kate Fitzsimons -How can you celebrate someone’s success and not feel you lost-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard –
Recent episodes from Mike Saunders, MBA (see all)
- Episode 5. Porche Grant – Athlete Transitioning, Trusting Yourself, Your Skill and the process with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes - July 4, 2020
- Blaise The Trail Ep 21 – Blaise Hunter Exclaims – “I was Robbed!” - July 3, 2020
- Episode 58 Kate Fitzsimons #10 –Being Resilient in the Face of Grief -Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard - July 2, 2020