Welcome to Episode 16 of Building My Legacy.
In this episode, Dr. Karren Kowalski talks about her vision for leadership in health care. From her earliest beginnings as an Army nurse in Vietnam to managing women’s and children’s services, she has spent a great deal of time thinking about how do develop and prepare the next generation for leadership. Karren discusses the role of mentors to guide and direct career development early in life and the importance of coaching as one advances and grows professionally.
So, if you want to know:
- Why do leaders want to build and leave a legacy? Karren will share why this is important for her.
- Essential personal tasks you need to complete before building a legacy
- What are essential tools for great leadership and legacy building?
- What process does Karren use?
- How does Karren assess and measure success?
…Karren provides incredible insight.
In this Podcast we will discuss:
- Karren Kowalski will share how she started her career and moved to building her career.
- The process Karren uses.
- The challenges Karren has faced as she has developed herself as a leader and legacy builder
- The one thing for which Karren is grateful and that has shaped her life.
About Dr. Karren Kowalski
Dr. Karren Mundell Kowalski graduated from Indiana University with a bachelor’s degree in Nursing. She was the first nurse from Indiana to receive a guaranteed assignment to Vietnam as a member of the US Army Nurse Corps. She has a Master’s degree and a PhD from the University of Colorado and currently serves as the President & CEO of Kowalski & Associates. She served as the President and CEO of the Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence, the nursing workforce center for Colorado.
She has served as Lead Project Director on more than a dozen grants, three of which focused on leadership. She has written a graduate text on leadership as well as 5 other nursing textbooks. She has written more than 70 articles for referred nursing journals. In 2010 she received the Colorado Florence Nightingale Award for Nursing Excellence. She was selected as one of the Ten Outstanding Young Women of America and is a charter member of the Colorado Nurses Association Hall of Fame.
She was elected to the American Academy of Nursing in 1981 and as a Fellow of the Academy of Nurse Educators in 2015. In 2014 she was selected from the 30,000 graduates as one of the Top 100 Alumni Legacy Leaders for the 100th Anniversary of Indiana University School of Nursing.
About Lois Sonstegard, PhD
Working with business leaders for more than 30 years, Lois has learned the passion successful leaders have to leave a meaningful legacy. Leaders often ask: When does one begin to think about legacy? Is there a “best” approach? Is there a process or steps one should follow?
Lois is dedicated not only to developing leaders but to help them build a meaningful legacy. Learn More about how Lois can help your organization with Leadership Consulting and Executive Coaching: https://build2morrow.com/
Thanks for Tuning In!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it with your friends by using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic episode updates.
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on iTunes. They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show, and I make it a point to read every single one of the reviews we get.
Please leave a review right now.
Recent episodes from Lois Sonstegard, PhD (see all)
- Ep 25-Kate Fitzsimons-Build Resilience through Self Awareness & Interpersonal Connection. Change Lives. Leave A Legacy with Lois Sonstegard – December 18, 2019
- Episode 24: Jamie Rea, relationship specialist, talks about the importance of relationships in building a legacy. – December 13, 2019
- Episode 23 Rhett Power: “Key to Business Success and Building a Leadership Legacy” with Lois Sonstegard – November 26, 2019
Recent episodes from Mike Saunders, MBA (see all)
- Annemarie McAvoy Nationally-Recognized Expert in Financial Crimes - February 19, 2020
- Robert Beadles Serial Entrepreneur and Co-Founder of Monarch Wallet - February 19, 2020
- Resume Storyteller with Virginia Franco – Interview with Career Coach Rachel Montañez - February 18, 2020