Omari J. Garrett is an educator, coach, and high school Athletic Director who has spent the last 15 years in education in various roles. Omari views education as more than just learning facts, but as an overall youth building experience.
As a product of Chicago Public Schools, Omari studied Biology at Norfolk State University (an Historically Black College & University in Norfolk, VA). After graduating in 2005, Omari accepted a role as a Paraprofessional at Homewood-Flossmoor High School. At Homewood-Flossmoor,
Omari also began his coaching career with coaching girls’ basketball. This experience led Omari to understand that his calling is in education where he could serve as a role model and mentor especially to young black males due to the small number of black male educators.
Omari decided to return to school to earn his teaching certification. He spent three years teaching science and coaching in the Chicago public schools at John Hope Academy then moved on to Thornton Fractional North High School for the past 9 years. At T. F. North, Omari coached the girls track & field team to their first conference championship in the school’s history. He also won conference Coach of the Year honors and helped his athletes receive athletic scholarships. Omari is currently the Athletic Director and has served in this role for the past 4 years.
During his tenure the department has earned 4 State Championships with the first one coming after 51 years and the other three making United States History of having three biological brothers win one in the same year. The department has also earned multiple conference championships and state finalists under his leadership.
In 2019, Omari joined the Chicago White Sox Young Professionals Council. As a member, he was able to leverage professional connections to help raise money for the Chicago White Sox Charities. Omari also currently serves as a board member and executive producer for the Arts of Humanity which is a 501c3 media and event production organization that shares and elevates our collective human experiences via civility and the arts.
Omari and his wife Renita are the proud parents of 3 daughters. Connect with Omari on Linkedin.
About Sivonnia DeBarros
Sivonnia DeBarros – the Protector of Athletes – is a first-generational lawyer and law business owner, woman in business and a former track and field Division-I College athlete. DeBarros’s practice areas are Business, Employment, Sports, and Entertainment. Learn more about her services at www.prosportlawyer.com and www.sldebarros.com
Recent episodes from Sivonnia DeBarros (see all)
- Ep. #9 – Malcolm Lemmons – Former Pro B-Ball Player on creating a legacy with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes. – August 4, 2020
- Ep. #8 – Omari J. Garrett – Athletic Director & Mentor on the importance of mentorship with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes. – July 24, 2020
- Ep. #7-Marcus Wingate-Branding Professional on the nuts & bolts of branding for pro-athletes with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes – July 16, 2020
Recent episodes from Mike Saunders, MBA (see all)
- Ep. #9 – Malcolm Lemmons – Former Pro B-Ball Player on creating a legacy with Sivonnia DeBarros, Protector of Athletes. - August 4, 2020
- Episode 67- Geoff Cook Shares His Entrepreneurial Journey-Building My Legacy with Lois Sonstegard - August 4, 2020
- Episode 350-How To Alleviate Analysis Paralysis In 3 Easy Steps-Brand Doctor Podcast with Henry Kaminski, Jr. - August 4, 2020